»» Lat: 42.1959348 | »» Long: -70.725874
Scituate is a small seacoast town in Plymouth County, Massachusetts, on Cape Cod Bay midway between Boston and Plymouth. Scituate was settled by a group of people from Plymouth in about 1627.
Fishing was a significant part of the local economy in the past. A small fishing fleet is still based in Scituate Harbor, although today the town is mostly residential.
In 1810, a lighthouse was erected on the northern edge of Scituate Harbor. This lighthouse is now known as Old Scituate Light. During the War of 1812, a British naval raiding party was deterred by the two daughters of the lighthouse keeper playing a fife and drum loudly. The girls and this incident became known as the "American Army of Two" or "Lighthouse Army of Two".
Another notable lighthouse, Minot's Ledge Light, stands approximately one mile off Scituate Neck. Samuel Woodworth's Old Oaken Bucket house is situated in Scituate. The town is also home to the Lawson Tower, a water tower surrounded by a wooden façade, with an observation deck with views of most of the South Shore from the top.
Scituate is bordered on the east by Massachusetts Bay, on the south by Marshfield, on the west by Norwell and Hingham, all of which are in Plymouth County, and on the northwest by Cohasset, in Norfolk County. The town is nineteen miles northeast of Brockton, and twenty-five miles southeast of Boston.
Scituate is considered a South Shore community, situated just south of the mouth of greater Boston Harbor. The town is not contiguous; Humarock is a part of Scituate which can only be reached from Marshfield. The latter was formerly connected to the town, but that connection was lost with a river shift as the result of the Portland Gale of 1898. The town's shore varies, with the south (along the mouth of the North River) being marshy, the middle (around Scituate Harbor) being more bucolic, to the rocky coast of Scituate Neck (Minot) in the north. It is off these rocks that Minot's Ledge lies, home to the town's most famous lighthouse. The inland of the town is mostly wooded, with several brooks and rivers (including Cold Brook, for which the town is named) running through.