»» Lat: 42.1130560 | »» Long: -70.812500
Hanover is a town in Plymouth County, Massachusetts. The area was first settled by English settlers in 1649 when William Barstow, a farmer, built a bridge along the North River at what is now Washington Street. The land was the westernmost portion of the town of Scituate, and it would officially separate and be incorporated as a town June 14, 1727. Today, Hanover is mostly residential. The Hanover Mall and other shops are located near the intersection of Routes 3 and 53.
Much of Hanover's eastern and southern borders consist of three waterways, the North and Indian Head Rivers along the south and southeast, and the Third Herring Brook along the east. (The latter two are both tributaries, and the town border is marked by their confluences.) There are also several small ponds and brooks throughout the town, the biggest pond being Factory Pond, a tributary of the Indian Head River in the south of town. The town has several small parks, sanctuaries and conservation areas spread throughout the town. Hanover has several horseback riding stables and riding trails.